Ginger and turmeric are two popular plants often touted for their medicinal benefits. Both have powerful anti-inflammatory and immune boosting properties, which could help decrease pain and protect against disease. Adding them into your diet is fairly simple as they can be consumed fresh, dried, or ground, and added to a variety of dishes, such as Lauren Living Healthy’s Ginger Turmeric Whole Roast Chicken. This popular dish is not only delicious and good for you, but requires only 15 minutes of prep time.
GINGER TURMERIC WHOLE ROAST CHICKEN
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 1 HOUR
TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR 15 MINUTES
1 whole body chicken
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
2 teaspoons orange zest
2 tablespoons fresh ginger peeled and grated
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 inches fresh turmeric
1 bunch fresh anti-viral herbs – thyme, oregano, mint, basil 1-2 cup
4 cloves garlic
3 garlic heads (to put around chicken in skillet)
2 teaspoons sea salt
INSTRUCTIONS FOR WET RUB
1. Add everything but the bird to a blender and blend until completely smooth.
2. Pat chicken dry. Rub down with sea salt then drench bird with marinade and stuff cavity with remaining lemon/orange.
3. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
4. Place the chicken (and all of the juices) in an iron skillet on a roasting pan (or baking sheet or casserole dish).
Note: it’s best if you can allow the chicken to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes prior to roasting to ensure it roasts evenly.
5. Place the chicken on the center rack of the preheated oven and roast 1 hour to 1.5 hours (depending on size of chicken), or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees 2.5 to 3 pound chicken should take just over an hour. Start with breast side down for 1/2 the cooking time, then turn over and roast until finished.
6. Remove the chicken from the oven and allow it to rest 10 minutes to allow the juices to distribute throughout the bird. This will ensure the chicken has the best texture and will make it easier to cut as well. Dismember the chicken and serve alongside roasted vegetables.
Owner, Lauren Living Healthy
Lauren Rashap is a third generation health practitioner with over 18 years in private practice. A certified clinical nutritionist and yoga and meditation instructor, Lauren developed one of the first, full-service “traveling spas.” She is the founder of Lauren Living Healthy, author of the book, “Vibrant Skin at Any Age,” and an award winning speaker.